Thursday, October 15, 2009

What's it going to be? A Situation or a Relationship?


So, I should be studying but I have something on my mind right now and I felt compelled to write about it. Lately, I've been hearing a lot of people say that they are in a "situation". Now, when I think of a "situation", I'm thinking hostage takeover(but that's just me....lol). At what point does a relationship turn into a situation? Did the word "relationship" go out of style and I didn't get the memo? Let me know!

True Story: I'm at the gym and this guy approaches me and strikes up a conversation. He wasn't too hard on the eyes so I continued to converse with him which lead to him asking for my number. I spoke with him a couple of times on the phone and he seemed to be really cool. So, one night, while talking on the phone with my best friend, I coincidentally ran across a picture of him on Facebook..(I promise I wasn't even looking for the pictures...lol) To make a long story short, the woman in the picture with him was his wife! This man never wore a ring or gave off any signs that he could be possibly married! When I asked him about it he said that they have an "open relationship" and it's just a "complicated situation". He actually referred to his MARRIAGE as a "situation"! Needless to say, I no longer talk to him.

I just don't understand how you can live with someone, have sex with him/her, tell that person that you love them and call it a "situation"....I'm confused. There are a couple of ways that the word situation can be defined. One way in which it can be defined is "a critical or unusual difficulty"...Huh? As an adult I can't imagine being with someone and viewing my relationship as "a critical or unusual difficulty" but because I don't want to hurt that persons feelings or be alone I decide to stay just for the hell of it. Does that make sense? Not really..but I'm a little different so you can't go by what I think. If somewhere along the lines you realize that you no longer want to be with your mate...why not express those feelings? I was always told that honesty is the best policy! But noooo...it's just easier to change your title to a "situation". WOW!

I totally understand being with a person and getting to a point in the relationship where you just don't know if you want to go any further. I also understand being in that in-between stage where you're "talking" but it hasn't quite developed into a relationship...I get all that! But what I don't understand is how you be with someone for X amount of years and you refer to it as a "situation". I just wish think we live in a society of convenience. We would rather be in a convenient situation than leave a messed up relationship. I don't know..that's just my two cents.


Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm guessing it depends on why he got married to begin with. Many people marry for the wrong reasons and that's just failure waiting to happen. A relationship based on true love wont be without its issues here and there, but ultimately love will bring them back together.

Don't know what's the case with that guy but he doesn't really seem to care about his wife.

And if he can't respect her, then that's not a good sign for you.

She's Savvy said...

Love your blog! Looks like we're blogging about some of the same things. Sorry to hear about your encounter with the married man, I like to call them "Single Married Men", check out my post about them. Girl, we will find our Mr. Rights, we just have to be patient.

Shunda said...

Thanks chica! Girl, my patience is running out! lol j/k But I know that Mr. Right is out there for both of us and he will show up when we least expect it! Oh and thanks for following my blog...I'm following u now!