Thursday, October 08, 2009

The Man...The Provider Or Maybe Not...


One of my very close friends called me yesterday to ask my advice regarding an issue she has been having with her man. "Do you think I'm being irrational?" she asked. It's funny how you can always offer advice to others but you it's always a challenge to figure out your own shit.(lol) Anyway, her issue is the fact that her man has a problem helping her financially because she makes more money than him. The real problem is that this is the man that she wants to marry. Ok, some would say that she sounds like she's in it only for the money...NOOOOO! So, not the case! She has been with this guy for some years now and they have had their issues just like any other couple. This is where I'm confused....he lives at home with his parents, no bills, no REAL responsibilites...can we say SPOILED? He doesn't feel as if he should have to help her because in his mind "she has it." Ok even if she "has it" isn't part of being in a relationship knowing that the other person has your back no matter what? Do I have to be destitute for you to lend a helping hand? ijs... That's CRAZY!! She's not asking him to take care of her but they have talked about him moving into HER house that SHE bought and he still doesn't think that he should pay the amount that she proposed to him which was 800 bucks...who lives anywhere these days for less than $800/per month? Come on....what happened to the man being the provider? Wanting to take care of his family and being the head of his household even if the woman makes more money? I mean damn, what happened to Pride, Class and Dignity? I told her that I didn't think she was being irrational because he didn't even ATTEMPT to TRY to discuss what he could possibly do to help her. I mean I understand if you don't have it but to just flat out tell me NO and you rolling over every morning looking at me...HA!

I understand we live in a society now where women are VERY independent and we have no problem taking care of ourselves. Hell, I don't think I've ever asked a man to do anything for me. Well, outside of my daddy but that's different.(lol) But I think about my Mother and even my Grandmother(I miss her so much) and how they never really had to worry about anything...at least not financially. I know that there are still men out there that thrive off of "providing" for their girlfriend or wife but should we as women expect that from a man? Are we becoming TOO independent to the point where men feel as if we don't need them for ANYTHING?

I NEED FEEDBACK PEOPLE!

No comments: